Thursday, February 28, 2008

it works

A momentary brief interuption from only picture and captions for Beka's lesson of the day:
The smoke detector does still work even though the green light (that we thought meant it was on) is off.

Why, Beka, how do you know this?

Funny you ask. I came home to have some soup for lunch and thought, "Oh, how tasty, I'll have a piece of Texas toast too." However, the soup was almost warm so I then thought, "What's an easier way than using the oven? They say not to use the microwave, but give instructions for a grill... Wouldn't a fry pan work?"

So I got out the freshly washed fry pan and puts in the frozen chunk of bread, butter and garlic over medium heat. After a minute, I suddenly realized, "Whoops, I should have flipped it." So I do, only to discover one blackened side.

"Oh well," I thought. "It is just a smokey flavor. That's typical for split pea soup" and I promised myself to take better care on the flip side (ha).

Mere seconds later, the smoke alarm without the illuminated green light starts beeping. Frazzled and frantic, I first think to move the fry pan to the back burner. However, one part of my mind said, "you should have heat under that..." So as my right hand moved the pan back, my left hand turned on the burner.

"S#$%! F*@&!" her rational brain started screaming. I turned off both burners and grabed the oven mitt — the closest and most reliable wind maker. On my way out of the kitchen to the smoke alarm, the part of my brain that turned on the back burner turned off the kitchen light (because obviously smoke dissipates in the dark). Frantically, I start waving at the smoke detector, pulling out the table chair to stand on while waving at the smoke alarm until it finally stops it's incessant call.

I waved at it for a few moments longer to ensure that it is not going to start up again. When I climbed off her precarious perch on the chair, I noticed that Pushkin is wide eyed and cowering next to the couch and Eva is now absent. After squeeking for her and peaking around, Eva is finally found, also cowering, but under the bed.

Now we're not sure what was more scary to them: the alarm, or Beka frantically and non-sensically running around turning things off and on for the mere 20 seconds that all this probably lasted...

2 comments:

bewedge said...

Ohhhh...what a WONDERFUL mental picture! You are a good writer! Perhaps an absent minded cook...but a good writer.

Unknown said...

Take it from me---don't ask how I know this---you can just take the battery out of the thing and it will shut up until you can clear the smoke, then re-install the battery!!